This is my first attempt at making chicken stock. I think it turned out great. I may need to add salt to taste as my recipe doesn't have much. I like to serve this with warm corn tortillas and a side of Spanish rice and refried beans. Please enjoy and let me know what you think.
The traditional chicken broth that grandma used to make for us, there is no better recipe to cure colds.
- 2.2 kilos of chicken thighs in quarters
- 2 gallons of water
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 4 zucchini, cut into large pieces
- 1 chayote, cut into large chunks
- 1 large white onion, cut into large chunks
- ½ bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
Preparation of chicken broth
- Step 1
Place chicken legs in a large pot and pour water over chicken; add garlic, salt and garlic powder. Cover, bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer until the chicken meat falls off the bones, 1 to 2 hours. Add chicken bouillon cube and allow to dissolve.
- Step 2
Stir carrots, potatoes, zucchini, chayote, and white onion into broth, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer soup until carrots and potatoes are tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Add chopped cilantro to the soup, simmer for 5 minutes and serve.